[as written by hans hofmann - i edited the pronouns to include everyone <3]
- every creative artist works continually to penetrate the mysteries of creation
- there are no established standards or rules which could help the artist.
- an artist must avoid borrowing from other artists.
- the artist must always develop further their sensibilities
- the artist must doubt their best results that they may not be handicapped from such results or from outside admiration
- the artist must work and always work - on the self and the craft - that they may develop to the point where they can say what they have to say, and that they say it in their own language.
- this language is of course not always at once understood. it makes people furious when you speak your own language.